The unimportant things that take up my life, besides alcohol. Just kidding! I might also talk about alcohol.

Friday 21 December 2012

Oh My Queen

I'm getting drunk and recuperating from pneumonia chez my parents, who I told "I think I'm becoming an alcoholic" and they didn't laugh. Then my mom said she was looking at my cough syrup (the highly medicated barbituate prescribed 'good shit') and observed I seem to be taking 5x the recommended dosage, which is why I'm sleeping in until 4pm these last few days.

"Yeah, but I'm not coughing!" was my reply. Also, drug dreams are great. Last night I was on a magical horse farm and mystical dude with terrible timing was looking for me and we rode off into rainbow snow fields or something.

Anyway, here are some great things I've seen lately and other things I remembered loving in my fever dream:

"Angels in America", the Meryl Streep one. Good lord, I know all of Harper and Prior's lines down flat. I studied this play in theatre classes in undergrad. It's no surprise I identify with delusive valium addicts and paranoid drag queens. But you would like it too because it's fantastic, see?



I also saw this fantastic documentary called "The Queen of Versailles". It's about an extremely decadent, outrageously wealthy family, facing down-cuts after 2008. The personality that comes through is surprising. I am a shitty movie reviewer, since I can't think up the words that would convince you to watch this. There's a scene where awful children callously let a pet lizard die. Also, just watch it and take my word for it, ok?


Then I watched "Goon" again. It's very violent but the characters are lovable.

And finally, I rewatched the "Slums of Beverly Hills". This was my favourite movie when I was fifteen. I got very sad a few years ago when Natasha Lyonne got so sick and down on her luck. I'm happy she's better. I could watch this movie a million times. It's about a quirky family slumming it in...you know. Natasha and Marisa Tomei just play the most earnest, hilarious, vulnerable girls ever. It's a riot of a movie. I love it.




No comments:

Post a Comment