The unimportant things that take up my life, besides alcohol. Just kidding! I might also talk about alcohol.

Friday 1 March 2013

Caution or Cowardice

If I step back it's always because I'm afraid. I tell myself to be courageous and hard-working. I constantly fail. Peter Singer said something like "just because we all morally fail all the time doesn't mean the moral standards should be slackened." It's true, it's possible we're all a bunch of frequent, incorrigible failures. Like maybe Ghandi and Mother Teresa are the baseline for humanity and the rest of us are morally deficient.

Anyway, I can always talk a lot of nonsense. What's up is I gave myself one scary/brave thing to do this week/month and I keep messing it up. Not doing it. It has nothing to do with anything, I'm just confessing to the ether because I'm not Catholic anymore but it's what we're trained to do. A useless conflict resolution strategy if there ever was one. Catholic: "I fucked up, just like I always do". Listener: "...why are you telling me?"

Heroes!! Lucy Liu and Garret Dillahunt. They are great and I'm not going to do them justice, because I'm tired and have only five minutes.



So just, if you're looking for movies, check out "No Country for Old Men" or "The Assassination of Jesse James..." with my hero Dillahunt. Not Looper. And I've already told you my feelings on the glory of "Deadwood" and "Winter's Bone." I can't speak to "The Road"...I read the book and was horrified, so I never bothered with the movie. But I've heard it's massively depressing. Stick with No Country. See it again. It surprises you. Also, Assassination is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen. Actually, both Assassination & No Country are landscape movies to take you places you maybe don't have the money/time to go visit right now.

I know so many of my recommendations are lady-centric, as they should be. But Assassination is one of the manliest man movies of all man-time (next to "There Will Be Blood"). I still like it, so maybe there are some men out there who like "Waitress", who knows.




And Lucy, you know her:


I know she's way too famous to be a little known hero, but she fits my definition of an actor who reliably does great things. Things you know and enjoy for fun, like "Charlie's Angels" and "Kill Bill". But did you know about "Watching the Detectives" or "Lucky Number Slevin"? I adore those movies. They are wayyyy too much fun to be so underrated/ unknown. I promise you'd like them.  They also co-star two of my heros of perfect looks, Cillian Murphy and Josh Hartnett. Ladies, I'm telling you. Gentlemen...well, have you seen Lucy Liu?




AND ALSO I bet you forgot my girl LL was in "CHICAGO". YEAH. She was the very best thing is that hilarious movie, which is one of the only musicals I can stand. Maybe because she didn't sing.


No comments:

Post a Comment