The unimportant things that take up my life, besides alcohol. Just kidding! I might also talk about alcohol.

Saturday 10 November 2012

Smashed -- perfection & ugly dresses

I was excitedly waiting to see Smashed for three weeks. Sometimes I get a feeling about movies that I know will be amazing. I used to read tarot cards so I'm kind of psychic. The movie premonitions just confirms that, I say.

In the last year I had that feeling about Moonrise Kingdom, and correct! Wonderful, story-book charm and oddness so cute and funny, even my dad laughed. Yeah, some people don't like Wes Anderson. Fair. I disagree with those people, but I get it. Still, this one is his best. I'm not the only one to say that. Who the fuck is funnier than Bill Murray, right?

But Smashed, holy cow. It's about an alcoholic young woman who gets sober, but it's a comedy too. It's not easy to make a realistic addiction story that's also very touching. Think of 28 Days, which is still actually pretty sweet, but super well done and even more real. Realest of real. That's this movie. Literally a movie where you'll probably laugh and cry. Best thing I've seen in a very, very long time. If there were any justice, Mary Elizabeth Winstead would get an Oscar. And the onscreen relationship with Aaron Paul, who plays her husband, is the absolute sweetest and saddest. Do you like Breaking Bad? Then watch this!! Do you have a heart that beats?!?!?! Same thing.


And here is my actual favourite by Wes Anderson (find the entirety of Hotel Chevalier here):


No comments:

Post a Comment