The unimportant things that take up my life, besides alcohol. Just kidding! I might also talk about alcohol.

Friday 26 October 2012

Lawless --- Tom Hardy & Cardigan

"Lawless" is a great movie to see stoned in the afternoon. Probably pretty good sober at other hours too. I thought it was a cowboy movie because I didn't pay attention to the poster, I just walked by and saw Tom Hardy's face and Mia Wasikowska's name. That's enough and it didn't disappoint!

What is too bad about Tom Hardy though, is that now all you can hear is Bane voice. I think if he were back to his deadly sexy British accent, the Bane would go away. But here, in this early 1930s Prohibition era shoot-em-up, he was Bane with a cardigan. Really, no man can better rock a cardigan.

Shia LeBouffant is also in this, with funny hair and eyebrows that go up in the middle while he's terrified or crying, which is much of the movie. Mia plays a coquettish Mennonite girl or something. And Jessica Chastain shows up to pretty much look hot, and seduce Tom. Boobs, is what I'm saying. Artsy-actress boobs.

Totally worth seeing-- very adventurous, and excellent villain by Guy Pearce, who is always outstanding. Also Gary Oldman winks!! What's not to love?!

One little general point: it's 'based on a true story', and I know we love to root for the underdog, even when they're crooks...but there's one scene in this movie where Tom Hardy's character does something really horrific. In the context it wasn't unjustified, but, you know. It's gross. And that dude is still the hero. Smokeshow. I was just a little sad that I was loving up this slightly psychotic character. A real life person who could just murder-murder-shoot-etc...probably not so loveable?

But why think about it?! Fun movie!



And helpful too, (minor spoiler!!!--------)


Chastain literally throws herself at Hardy to get any action (the dude just moons at her, and the most she ever gets is like, him saying her name or a non-committal grunt of maybe affection?) This was so familiar to me and my current non-love life, that today I was just like "ok real-life cardigan man, you and I are done, I can't take your terror of women and mixed signal bullshit anymore". Because eventually a girl needs more.

If he were literally Tom Hardy though, I'd totally do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment