The unimportant things that take up my life, besides alcohol. Just kidding! I might also talk about alcohol.

Sunday 17 February 2013

Happy-Go-Lucky: Enjoy Life, It's Fine

Mike Leigh movies are not for impatient people. They're for people who like to read novels sometimes. For example, if you like Alice Munro stories, you'd enjoy Mike Leigh movies. If you don't like Alice Munro, I don't get you. That's ok, because I really don't get a lot of other people, like people who get excited about fancy guns and trophy hunting. Or people who think religion class is a legitimate "replacement" for science. Of course I think that I am right, just as much as they think that I am wrong.

Anyway, watch "Happy-Go-Lucky". It's like 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, so if you don't like it, you're wrong. Or you're my dad, and it's totally fine for you to watch Die Hard Whatever. I'm not the taste police. I'm just trying to tell you about awesome movies. Also, if you have the stomach for some intense flavour Mike Leigh, check out "Another Year" and maybe even "Vera Drake".



Mainly, Happy-Go-Lucky is remarkable because it proves how life is fine. Some people are doing just fine. It's more than simply "not giving a fuck". It's the ability to realize what matters, and what does not. People's general dickishness is not a problem if you are an invulnerable positivity machine. When it is a problem, you do your best to help without going down with the ship. If you are Poppy, you are going to be very good at life.

No comments:

Post a Comment