The unimportant things that take up my life, besides alcohol. Just kidding! I might also talk about alcohol.

Monday 25 February 2013

Kathryn Hahn Makes Everything Better

Next up in heroes week (heroine is a stupid word): my all-time favourite funny girl Kathryn Hahn. Do you think Amy Poehler is funny? Or Kristen Wiig? Sure, but they don't hold a candle to Hahn. Despite her surprisingly short list of screen roles, she's a stand-out in my mind as one of the greatest ingredients to many of my favourite comedies.

Every time I see KH in a movie, she manages to be the most interesting thing on the screen. She is insanely funny in comedic roles, but she's also surprisingly good at going really dark sometimes. That is hard to do. Jim Carrey is just weird when he's serious, you know? Behold my hero Kathryn Hahn, who you've definitely seen before:


Yeahhh, heroes get their faces all up in your face, because I don't have trophies or clout.

"Anchorman" -- Let's be real, if you can't laugh at Anchorman, I pity your humourless existence. I still think Will Ferrell is one of the funniest human beings alive, but back at the Anchorman stage, that was the general opinion. This movie is just funny. That's all it aims to do, and it succeeds. It's early Kahn, in a small role, but she still kills it.


"Step Brothers" -- Sure, fine, it's not a film for everyone. I maintain it's hysterical. Enjoy silliness in movies!! Life is so short! If you can't laugh at this movie in general, you are flat-out wrong if you can't laugh at Kahn's role. It is one of the funniest characters in movie history...



"The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard" -- Genuinely underrated comedy. I laughed from the first minute until the end. It was directed by Neal Brennan, co-creator of the "Chappelle Show", and it features the funniest strip-club DJ since SNL. And the very best thing about the movie is KAHN!!!


"Revolutionary Road" -- If you like this sort of thing, you've already seen this movie. It's sad as murdered pandas. But BEAUTIFUL sad, you know? Maybe you don't know this, though: this is very, very brilliant sad-person acting by Kahn. She's so perfect as maybe the most tragic of all the tragic figures in the whole tragedy-eclipse that is this story (PS-- the book is really good too, even if you read it in bed in a Vegas hotel room because your boyfriend is a dick, which is how I read it. Maybe especially great in those circumstances). Stupidly there are no specific Kahn clips on youtube, but trust me. This is a killer flick and she outshines Winslet.


"Girls" -- I like it. Many of my preferred friends like it. I think every spoiled woman of my age would like it. You've probably heard everything there is to hear about Lena Dunham, but in case you missed it, Girls is a good show. A great show, maybe. It has its annoying, boring moments, but it has its perfect moments too. And some of those PERFECT moments involve the PERFECT KATHRYN HAHN!


And follow this link to funnyordie for a quick laugh, just cuz: (HAHN, that's why!)






No comments:

Post a Comment