The unimportant things that take up my life, besides alcohol. Just kidding! I might also talk about alcohol.

Saturday 12 January 2013

A Work in Regress

Sometimes it's delusional to pretend I'm getting better at things. I'll try, for now, to stop getting worse.

Did I tell you to watch "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"? It's the one I'd take if I had to watch the same movie over and over again for the rest of my life. That or "All Dogs Go to Heaven", which reminds me of my grandma who I really loved, who had a sad awful life and then died super young. The movie is perfect though, really. I love everything by Charlie Kaufman, quel shocker. This one really is the masterpiece. Surreal, magical, romantic and honest. Jane Adams and David "I-can't-believe-he-married-Amber-Tamblyn" Cross also play my favourite fictional couple of all time in this one.

And Kate Winslet was only 29 or so when she filmed this. At least I think I look therefore super young for being in my 20th whatever year.



I'm also going to recommend the Gus Van Sant movie "Gerry", with Matt Damon and Casey Affleck. I enjoyed it very much even while not being a pothead. So sad and dreamy.




Also, since it's another beautiful movie that relies heavily upon Pachebel's Canon, check out Cate Blanchett and Giovanni Ribisi in "Heaven", the movie that made me wish to go to Spain. I still haven't been. But Spain is a bit like Ireland, insofar as they are both countries very far away and good for feeling like you're not home. Anyway, the movie is set in Italy but for some reason, it's the movie I think of when I ask myself why I want to go to Spain.


And fuck, of course, I can't talk about a Tom Tykwer film without mentioning The Amazing and Perfect and SO GOOD Everyone's Already Seen It but Should See It Probably Twice? At least? Run Lola Run. Even though I forgot about that rule when talking about Perfume but the point of this post is that I'm super, hyper, rabidly imperfect, so. 


And actually I only wrote this whole post to tell you about "The Anniversary Party", maybe the best, realest movie about a party ever. Because, Phoebe Cates, you guys. Also, did I mention Jane Adams?


How would you feel if I just wrote the post that never-ended, just listing off all the movies I remember liking? Well maybe you need to quarantine yourself from one of the many horror-hell flus going around, or just hide out and avoid the reality of acknowledging that climate change has totally won and now we just have to ride out the horseshit doomsday situation we created? Then you'll need more movies!! So here you go, here's "Sliding Doors", the movie that asks "How much does luck do?", but in a less operatic way than Woody Allen would! Even though Gwyneth Paltrow is the world's most insufferable person, Sliding Doors is great, you'd like it. 



Or just watch All Dogs Go to Heaven. Looking back, I can't believe the movie I watched twice a day when I was a tiny little child is actually really dark and kind of confusing/ disturbing. Or I can believe it because look at me.


No comments:

Post a Comment