The unimportant things that take up my life, besides alcohol. Just kidding! I might also talk about alcohol.

Saturday 5 January 2013

Ode to Friendship

So Jermaine Fowler followed me on twitter yesterday and it made my year. I could get hit by a car tomorrow and spend the next 11 months in intensive care, and I'd still be pretty happy with 2013. So thank you, universe.

Also, thank you friends. I have such wonderful, diverse pals. Never a dull moment. I've always believed that hell is boring people. Or bed bugs. I believe these things because I've never known hardship, so please take me less seriously at all times.

Here are some of my favourite works of art, commemorating friendship:

"Go". Sarah Polley doesn't age, does she? Ever have a night that takes a turn, and then you end up kidnapped by Timothy Olyphant? Me either. So watch this and pretend.


"Thirteen". I love Evan Rachel Wood. This reminds me of my childhood friendships. Replace pre-teen blow-jobs and shoplifting with falling through 4 feet holes in snow-banks and having every friend threaten suicide biweekly and that was my youth.


"Ginger Snaps". Everyone hates menstruation as much as they love slutty goths. I could watch this movie a thousand times. Ginger-types are my favourite kind of person: dangerous, seductive, loyal and untrustworthy.


"Heathers". Winona Ryder's life, including this movie, is the original ode to 'white girl problems'.


"Girl, Interrupted". See the description above. This was for a long, long time my favourite movie. Given my recent brush with actual friend suicide, it'll be a long time until I can watch it again. But if you want to see the original flavour Angelina Jolie, check it out. I think this movie personifies the kind of friendships I have, and that's not even facetious. This scene, this scene:


I'm deliberately omitting "Mean Girls" because fuck Tina Fey and her second-wave feminist, sister-hating bullshit. Overrated judgmental bitch.

I also have to include "Cat's Eye". One of the best books I've ever read. It perfectly describes girls and women, how we're friends, how we can slice it all up so strangely, sadly. One of the best moments last summer was when I saw Margaret Atwood walking down a street in Toronto and tweeted at her about Cat's Eye saving my life. She tweeted back and I felt wildly validated. I live for small things.

So hey friend-girls. You make my life worthwhile and wonderful, shout out and butterfly kisses to you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment